All Colleges and Universities have their own English language centres to help international students meet the entrance requirements for their courses and to support their studies. These programmes can be applied for together with the main course and entrance to the main course is guaranteed once the student passes the English programme and achieves the required score.


In addition to these, there are many different, private language centres in the US which provide a wide range of courses for different needs:

  1. Short summer language and activity courses for children, teens and adults.
  2. Short language courses for working people (eg Business English).
  3. Examination preparation courses (for example TOEFL, IELTS, GMAT etc).
  4. English Language Teacher Training courses (eg CELTA, DELTA).
  5. Pre-sessional English courses with university placement (for students who have not yet decided on their main course of study).


Vietnamese students and working people can attend summer courses during their annual vacation time, and they can take their pre-sessional English courses with university placement at recognized language schools in the US which have partnerships with local universities. However, it is difficult, if not impossible, to obtain a US student visa just to study English, especially for a single person with no other study plan.


Generally, for all except summer or short business courses, students should have a clear study plan for the period after they complete their English course and should get an offer letter for their next course or proof that the language school will guarantee a university placement for them in order to get a visa. Many US language schools have a range of partnerships to help students move forward to the next stage of their study plan, offering  university placements or pathway programmes with articulation to universities.

Scroll To Top