UK degrees are highly regarded all over the world. All degrees issued by UK universities are subject to control by the UK government. All are Honours degrees and the standard length is 3 years. Courses with a 1 year work placement included are called sandwich courses. Professional courses leading to qualifications that allow graduates to join professional bodies and practise (such as Medicine, Architecture, Pharmacy, Engineering) take longer.


Note: in Scotland degrees are 4 years in length but Scottish students graduate from high school after 12 years. Students with good A Levels / IB results or having completed Foundation courses in the UK may be able to enter Year 2 of a Scottish degree.

All Masters degrees in the UK are 12 months long (unless work placements are added).

You can study for a UK degree at any of these institutions:


1. UK Universities: there are around 150 universities in the UK and 20% of these are ranked in the World Top 200. Find out more here. All universities are state-funded except for a small group (The University of Buckingham, BPP University and The Law University, which are self-funding).



2. UK University Branch Campuses: a number of UK universities operate branch campuses overseas, and these offer exactly the same UK degrees as in the UK itself and are subject to the same strict regulations.


3. Private Business Schools: these are mostly in London and they offer UK degrees validated by UK universities but taught in the private institutions. These institutions offer Business, Finance and IT degrees at lower fees than the universities and operate from smaller campuses containing only classrooms and libraries.


4. UK Colleges of Further and Higher Education: these offer 2 types of qualification:

  1. Foundation degrees and HNDs - these are 2 year courses which allow graduates to work on completion. If they want to continue to an Honours degree they need to do a 1- year top-up.
  2. Bachelor degrees with Honours – these are awarded by partner universities but taught on the College campus.


Degrees offered by overseas universities (such as US university branch campuses) are NOT validated by the UK government and are not considered to be UK degrees even if studied in the UK.

UK Universities

  • Bangor University
  • De Montfort University
  • Newcastle University
  • Birkbeck University of London
  • University of East Anglia
  • Nottingham Trent University
  • BPP University
  • Exeter University
  • Queens University Belfast
  • Brunel University
  • The University of Gloucestershire
  • Queen Mary London
  • The University of Buckingham
  • Huddersfield University
  • The University of Reading
  • City University London
  • Kingston University
  • The University of Stirling
  • Coventry University
  • Keele University
  • St George's University of London
  • Dundee University
  • Leeds Beckett University
  • University of West London

Overseas Branch Campuses

  • University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus
  • The University of Reading Malaysia

UK State Colleges

  • Bournemouth & Poole College
  • The Edinburgh College
  • Wakefield College
  • Llandrillo College
  • Westminster Kingsway College


US degrees are highly regarded all over the world, but with around 4,500 institutions to choose from, there is an enormous variety on offer. To break this down, there are several categories of higher education in the US:


1. Community College 2 year programme: students can study the first 2 years of a 4 year degree programme here and earn an Associate degree. After this they may work or transfer to a 4 year university to complete their Bachelors degree.

2. 4 year University or College undergraduate programme: students achieve a BA (Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science) on completion of their programme.

3. Graduate, Masters or Professional Programme: this is a 1, 2 or 3 year course leading to a higher degree. (Master of Arts, Master of Science, MBA, for example, or a professional degree such as JD – Doctor of Jurisprudence or MD -  Medical Doctor).

4. Doctoral program - PhD, a research programme which can take from 3 to 6 years  to complete.


In terms of choice of institution, students can attend:

  1. Community college
  2. 4 year public university
  3. 4 year private university
  4. 4 year Liberal Arts college
  5. Smaller specialized institution


Universities in the USA are decentralized, this is to say they are not managed by the federal government, but by the state where they are located. Some of the richest and most highly ranked universities (such as Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia, Princeton, Cornell etc.) are private and endowed with both state funds for research as well as private donations. However, some of the largest state university systems are just as famous and well endowed with funds.

In terms of rankings, there are 150 US universities in the Times Higher World University Rankings. Almost all of the states are represented in the best US universities list. In total, 128 different cities appear in the ranking, but the top 5 US universities are in California, Massachussetts and New Jersey.

Vietnamese students can enter 4 year universities directly from Vietnam, but need to take specific tests (SATs or ACTs) and to apply through the centralized application systems to be accepted. For this reason, many students prefer to go first to a Community College before transferring to a 4 year university.

Financial assistance (scholarships) is available in the US but it is not easily accessed by students outside the system. Students who are already attending a Community College can more easily apply for financial assistance to fund their last 2 years of study.

Students who wish to enter a 4 year university directly but don’t yet have a sufficient level of English, or who would prefer to avoid taking SATs, may choose from one of the many pathway routes now available at an increasingly wide range of universities.


US State & Private Universities

  • Colorado State University
  • Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
  • Quinnipiac University, CT
  • Concordia University Chicago
  • Oregon State University
  • Saint Louis University
  • Drew University NY
  • Pace University New York City
  • University of Alabama at Birmingham
  • George Mason University
  • Northeastern University, Boston
  • University of North Texas
  • Marshall University
  • Merrimack College, MA
  • University of South Florida


Canada has a uniformly excellent quality of higher education which is recognized and respected around the world. Although there are minor differences between the education systems in each province, universities recognize the high school qualifications of other provinces and Canadian students can attend Higher Education in any part of the country.

The only province which has a completely different system is Quebec, which has both French and English as official languages and has a different public school system (11 years of high school, 2 years of CEGEP College, then 3 years of university). Private institutions may follow the system more common in other provinces. International students wishing to study in Quebec must have a certain basic level of French before applying to a public institution  (even if their course is in English).

Canada is a multi-racial, multi-cultural country that provides a safe and welcoming environment for international students. Those wishing to study higher education in Canada may choose from the following:

1. State Colleges - these offer 1, 2 or 3 year degree transfer programmes and / or full 4 year Bachelors degrees in a wide range of subjects. It is possible to transfer to any Canadian university from any College. College tuition fees are much cheaper than university fees and offer students a high quality education with strong support for English language and study skills before they transfer to a university. Canadian colleges also have programmes with opportunities for work experience (either as an optional “Co-op”, or built into the programme).

2. Private Colleges: these offer similar programmes to state colleges but may be more specialized around certain subjects.

3. State Universities - these are divided into the following groups:

  1. Medical Doctoral – this category includes some of the largest schools in the country, namely those that have Medical Schools and conduct a significant amount of research and offer a wide range of undergraduate and graduate degrees.
  2. Comprehensive – these are smaller universities that conduct a significant degree of research and offer a wide range of undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees.
  3. Primarily undergraduate – are generally smaller in size and offer fewer graduate programmes.

There are around 80 public universities in Canada and 13 private ones.  There is no official ranking system for universities in Canada, although the weekly magazine, Macleans, has its own league tables.

Vietnamese students can enter 4 year universities directly from Vietnam, although many prefer to take a degree transfer course at a College first. Colleges also allow students to improve their English while they follow their main programme in some cases.

Students who wish to enter a 4 year university directly but don’t meet the entrance requirements may choose from one of the pathway routes now available at a few universities.


Canadian Undergraduate And Postgraduate Degrees

  • Red River College MB
  • The University of Manitoba, MB
  • University of Prince Edward Island
  • George Brown College ON
  • Fairleigh Dickinson University BC
  • Mount St. Vincent University, NS
  • Cape Breton University
  • University Canada West, BC
  • Bishop's University, Quebec
  • Thompson Rivers University
  • University of the Fraser Valley, BC
  • Acadia University, NSUs State & Private Universities


Australia is a very popular study choice for students from around the world. With its pleasant climate, laid back lifestyle and buzzing cities, Australia has study options for everyone.


Australia has a 12 year high school system and on graduation, students can apply to study anywhere in Australia as each state recognizes the qualifications of the others. Students can choose to continue their studies at one of the following:


1. Technical and Further Education (TAFE) College: these are large public colleges in every state which offer advanced Diplomas and Associate degrees in vocational subjects, after which students can transfer to a university to complete their degree if they wish.


2. Private Vocational College: offer similar courses to TAFES.


3. Public or Private University: there are 38 public and 3 private universities in Australia which offer 3-4 year Bachelors degrees, 1-2 year Masters degrees and postgraduate research degrees. 


4. Private Degree Provider: there is a number of degree providers which are authorized to offer their own or other universities’ degrees (for example, Business Schools).


The top universities in Australia are known as the Group of 8 and consist of the following universities:  Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Monash, New South Wales, Queensland, Western Australia and the Australian National University.


Students wishing to enter a 3 or 4 year degree who do not meet the entrance requirements can take one of the many pathway programmes available for many Australian universities.

Australian Universities

  • International College of Management Sydney
  • Curtin University Sydney
  • Murdoch University, WA
  • Charles Sturt University
  • Macquarie City Campus


Irish Institutes of Technology

  • Dundalk Institute of Technology (DkIT)
  • Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT)


Swedish Universities

  • Jönköping University


Singaporean Higher Education Programmes

  • Kaplan Singapore
  • Curtin University Singapore
Scroll To Top